Friday, August 28, 2009

Lessons from the Garden.

Hello

Well it has been a fantastic year so far in the garden. We have had some wonderful successes (Cucumbers, Carrots, Tomatoes!). We have also had some failures (Corn, well mostly corn). I tried to plant two varieties together and didn't know or think that this would be a problem. Although I got big beautiful heads of corn, they were so starchy we ended up having to dry it out and make it chicken food. Lessons learned for next year...

Another slight disappointment were my potatoes. I grew them in a 50 gallon drum

Backyard

and this was the full harvest of one drum. The other drum held twice this much.

Spuds

I planted them in a beautiful mix of compost and soil and think they may have had it too good.

I will be replanting them for my first year of winter gardening experiments and will make sure things aren't quite as luxurious this time. I will also be trying smaller varieties of purple and white potatoes instead of the above russets.

We have had such success that we even have a Watermelon growing!

Mother Nature has been very very good to use this year. We are going to try to extend the growing season for as long as possible. D built me a greenhouse, my very first one, and I can't wait to get started.

No comments: